World Elder Abuse Consciousness Day is June 15. On today, and all through the month, communities, seniors, caregivers, governments, organizations, and the personal sector unite to stop the mistreatment of and violence in opposition to older folks.
Social Safety imposter scams are widespread throughout the US. Scammers use refined ways to deceive you into offering delicate data or cash. They aim everybody – even the aged – and their ways proceed to evolve.
Most lately, Social Safety’s Workplace of the Inspector Basic (OIG) has acquired experiences of telephone scammers creating faux variations of the identification badges most federal staff use to realize entry to Federal buildings. The scammers might textual content or e-mail images of the faux badges to persuade potential victims of their legitimacy. These badges use authorities symbols, phrases, and even names and images of actual folks, which can be found on authorities web sites or by means of web searches.
In the event you obtain a suspicious letter, textual content, e-mail, or name, hold up or don’t reply. It is best to know how you can establish when it’s actually Social Safety. We’ll by no means:
• Textual content or e-mail photos of an worker’s official authorities identification.
• Droop your Social Safety quantity.
Individuals are additionally studying…
• Threaten you with arrest or different authorized motion until you instantly pay a nice or payment.
• Require cost by retail reward card, wire switch, web foreign money, or money by mail.
• Promise a profit improve or different help in change for cost.
• Ship official letters or experiences containing your private data by way of e-mail.
We solely ship textual content messages when you’ve got opted in to obtain texts from us and solely in restricted conditions, together with the next:
• When you’ve got subscribed to obtain updates and notifications by textual content.
• As a part of our enhanced safety when accessing your private my Social Safety account.
In the event you owe cash to us, we’ll mail you a letter with cost choices and enchantment rights.
We encourage you to report suspected Social Safety imposter scams — and different Social Safety fraud — to the OIG web site at oig.ssa.gov. You could learn our earlier Social Safety fraud advisories at oig.ssa.gov/newsroom/news-release. Please share this data together with your family and friends to assist unfold consciousness about Social Safety imposter scams.
Query: When an individual who has labored and paid Social Safety taxes dies, are advantages payable on that particular person’s document?
Reply: Social Safety survivors advantages may be paid to:
• A widow or widower—unreduced advantages at full retirement age, or decreased advantages as early as age 60.
• A disabled widow or widower as early as age 50.
• A widow or widower at any age if she or he takes care of the deceased’s little one who’s below age 16 or disabled, and receiving Social Safety advantages.
• Single youngsters below 18 or as much as age 19 if they’re attending highschool full time. Below sure circumstances, advantages may be paid to stepchildren, grandchildren, or adopted youngsters.
• Kids at any age who have been disabled earlier than age 22 and stay disabled.
• Dependent dad and mom age 62 or older.
Even in case you are divorced, you continue to might qualify for survivors advantages. For extra data, go to www.ssa.gov.
Query: Lately, I used to be instructed I shouldn’t be carrying my Social Safety card round. Is that true?
Reply: We encourage you to maintain your Social Safety card at residence in a protected place. Don’t carry it with you until you take it to a job interview or to somebody who requires it. Identification theft is likely one of the quickest rising crimes in America and one of the simplest ways to keep away from turning into a sufferer is to safeguard your Social Safety card and quantity. To study extra, go to www.ssa.gov/ssnumber.
Query: I labored the primary half of the 12 months, however plan to retire this month. Will Social Safety rely the quantity I earn for this 12 months once I retire?
Reply: Sure. In the event you retire mid-year, we rely your earnings for all the 12 months. We’ve got a particular “earnings take a look at” rule we apply to annual earnings, often within the first 12 months of retirement. Below this rule, you get a full cost for any entire month we think about you retired no matter your yearly earnings. We think about you retired throughout any month your earnings are under the month-to-month earnings restrict, or when you’ve got not carried out substantial companies in self-employment. We don’t think about earnings earned, starting with the month you attain full retirement age. Be taught extra in regards to the earnings take a look at rule at www.ssa.gov/retire2/rule.htm.