When you’ve got been recognized with fibromyalgia and have been unable to work for the final yr or longer as a result of severity of your situation, it’s possible you’ll be contemplating whether or not or not you need to apply for Social Safety Incapacity Advantages.
Earlier than making use of for SSD advantages, try to be conscious of how fibromyalgia is considered by the Social Safety Administration. The SSA requires strict proof that you will want to supply to be thought of disabled beneath the administration’s pointers.
Can I get Social Safety Incapacity Advantages for Fibromyalgia?
First, let’s begin with a breakdown of Fibromyalgia, its signs, and the way covid can influence its severity.
In response to the Social Safety Administration (SSA), Fibromyalgia (FM) is a fancy medical situation characterised by widespread ache within the joints, muscle groups, tendons, or close by comfortable tissues that persists for at the least 3 months. Along with persistent ache, fibromyalgia can also be related to problem sleeping, reminiscence and cognitive issues in any other case often known as “fibro fog”, persistent fatigue, despair, recurring migraine complications, irritable bowel issues, muscle fatigue inflicting twitching and spasms, and temperature sensitivity.
For these struggling with fibromyalgia, COVID-19 might have a big influence in your well being. The results of COVID-19 on our on a regular basis life has resulted in elevated stress, despair, diminished bodily exercise and weight acquire for many individuals. Whereas these modifications should not good for anybody’s well being, they’re notably regarding for these with fibromyalgia as they can lead to painful and debilitating flare-ups of their situation.
What do I must know earlier than I apply for advantages?
- Set up analysis and therapy. First, it have to be established that you’ve been recognized and handled for fibromyalgia by a medical or osteopathic physician. The Social Safety Administration (SSA) will assessment the physician’s therapy notes, findings on bodily examination, and the diagnostic research which were carried out. Then, the SSA will consider whether or not the physician’s data are according to a analysis of fibromyalgia and whether or not your reported signs over time have been extreme sufficient beneath the Social Safety Administration’s necessities to search out you disabled.
- A Rheumatologist is essential. Social Safety Administration evaluates fibromyalgia via the standards established by the American School of Rheumatology. When you’ve got been recognized with fibromyalgia by a doctor that isn’t a rheumatologist, the physician’s analysis and documentation will not be ample to fulfill the necessities that the SSA is utilizing to judge claims.
- Proof. There are three key items of proof that the Social Safety Administration will search for in your medical data to ascertain the analysis of fibromyalgia.
- Your Data. Data should set up that you’ve had widespread ache that has persevered for at the least three months. Widespread ache is outlined as experiencing ache on each side of the physique, and in each higher and decrease halves of the physique.
- Tender factors. There are 18 tender factors recognized on the physique which are addressed in evaluating fibromyalgia. Of the 18 tender factors, it’s essential to have ache in at the least 11 of them. In case your physician just isn’t documenting tender level testing, assembly this standards can be tough.
- Ruling out different diagnoses. There have to be documented proof within the documentation that different issues prone to trigger the identical signs have been dominated out.
- Signs. In contemplating the severity of fibromyalgia, the Social Safety Administration is on the lookout for proof of getting repeated manifestations of six or extra fibromyalgia signs, or co-occurring situations reminiscent of: fatigue, cognitive or reminiscence issues (“fibro fog”), waking unrefreshed, despair, anxiousness and irritable bowel syndrome.
Is it tough to get SSD advantages if in case you have Fibromyalgia?
Acquiring Social Safety advantages based mostly on a fibromyalgia analysis will be extraordinarily tough for a number of causes. Initially, the situation is often recognized between the ages of 35 to 45. At that age, the Social Safety Administration considers you to be a youthful particular person and presumes that you’re not disabled based mostly upon their regulatory pointers. The diagnoses of fibromyalgia relies upon a mixture of subjective signs which can not simply be established and should not all the time effectively documented. The SSA depends closely on medical data when making incapacity determinations. In case your complaints should not substantiated by the medical data, your declare will more than likely be disapproved.
When you are not required to make the most of the providers of an SSDI lawyer in the course of the profit software course of, it’s essential to place your finest case ahead from the very starting. If Fibromyalgia is your major disabling situation, you need to contemplate consulting with an skilled Social Safety Incapacity legal professional earlier than getting into your declare. In case you are denied advantages on the preliminary stage, it then takes a big time frame to get a listening to date earlier than an Administrative Regulation Choose (ALJ), with some workplaces reporting a wait of 18-months.