By Braden Biggs
As certainly one of your Apache Junction Metropolis Council members, it’s my obligation to advocate on behalf of town and its residents. In the present day, I’m asking to your assist in advocating to your group and your neighboring communities.
A number of months in the past we discovered about the potential of the Social Safety Administration closing the Apache Junction department at 235 W. Superstition Blvd. Fairly quickly, your District 4 U.S. Congressman, Rep. Paul Gosar, D.D.S., together with the Pinal County Board of Supervisors and the Apache Junction Metropolis Council, started working. We’ve written letters, handed proclamations and fought again, however now we’d like you.
This isn’t a partisan problem as constituents of all walks of life profit from the Social Safety workplace. As a group, we have to rally and assist shield this very important useful resource right here in Apache Junction.
So, what are they making an attempt to do?
The Social Safety Administration is looking for to shut the Apache Junction workplace and transfer it to Gilbert, 20 miles away.
This transfer will take away our direct native entry to such a essential service, one which lots of our residents depend on. With the closure, the following closest workplace is in downtown Mesa — 21 miles away. The brand new proposed workplace — additionally 20 miles away, in downtown Gilbert — occurs to be 6 miles away from the Mesa workplace. With little to no entry to public transportation from the Apache Junction space, that is merely unacceptable.
There may be an internet petition began by Congressman Gosar’s workplace to assist deliver the individuals’s voice to Washington, D.C. and we’d like your signature.
I’m asking that you simply signal it and share it with your mates/household inside the Apache Junction/Gold Canyon/San Tan Valley/Superior and much East Mesa areas.
Petition hyperlink is right here.
Listed below are some details concerning the closure, the world demographics, and the brand new workplace:
- 8.4% of residents within the Gilbert space are 62 or older in comparison with 32.9% within the Apache Junction space.
- 57.7% of Gilbert residents have an annual earnings of below $80,000 in comparison with practically 90% of Apache Junction residents.
- Gilbert’s veteran inhabitants is roughly 1.7% whereas Apache Junction is about 2.8% with one ZIP code being practically 4%.
Info concerning the workplace
- It has not been used within the final yr — because of COVID-19 — which means entry to providers has already been drastically lowered.
- The present workplace occupies 13,500 sq. ft versus the proposed workplace at half that.
- Greater than $1.8 million in renovations and upgrades have gone into the Apache Junction workplace because it was inbuilt 2005.
- It should take roughly $6 million to get the brand new workplace open.
- The Apache Junction workplace has on-site parking, the brand new workplace in Gilbert won’t; that is unacceptable for the seniors or disabled constituents who want entry to this workplace.
The underside line is that is unacceptable and we’d like your assist to make it recognized. Over the following few weeks, you will notice a number of of us with paper petitions or discussing this problem locally. Please signal both the paper petition or the net petition and assist maintain the Apache Junction Social Safety workplace open for enterprise and open for our constituents.
Please be happy to contact me with any questions or considerations. You may attain me through e mail at [email protected] or through cellphone at 480-594-2987
Let’s present Washington, D.C. what Apache Junction is like after we rally.
Editor’s word: Braden Biggs is on the Apache Junction Metropolis Council.