WASHINGTON, D.C. — As we speak, Congressman Steven Horsford (D-NV-04) joined his colleagues on the Home Methods and Means Committee to advance historic investments in Nevada’s working households, seniors, and small companies by means of the Construct Again Higher Act.
“After practically 40 hours of debate, the Home Methods and Means Committee has handed a sturdy legislative package deal that can put our nation on the trail to rebuild stronger than ever,” mentioned Congressman Steven Horsford. “As we speak, I used to be proud to vote for proposals that can spend money on inexpensive housing, minimize taxes for households and small companies, decrease well being care prices, and assist long-term take care of seniors, amongst a lot extra. I thank my colleagues for voting to incorporate a number of key items of my laws in our ultimate committee package deal, and I look ahead to transferring the Construct Again Higher Act nearer to a full vote within the Home.
In remarks to the Committee, Congressman Horsford drew on his expertise as a small enterprise proprietor to clarify how the Construct Again Higher Act will strengthen America’s workforce and make our nation extra aggressive on the worldwide stage. A full video of his remarks could be discovered right here.
Throughout Committee debate, Congressman Horsford excoriated Republican efforts to means-test the expanded Youngster Tax Credit score, which is anticipated to minimize youngster poverty in half. Later within the debate, Congressman Horsford delivered a spirited protection of provisions within the Construct Again Higher Act that might make it simpler for employees to hitch a union.
With the conclusion of right this moment’s markup, Congressman Horsford and the Home Methods and Means Committee have accomplished consideration of the provisions of the Construct Again Higher Act beneath the Committee’s jurisdiction. In spite of everything Home Committee markups are accomplished, the Home Funds Committee (on which Congressman Horsford additionally serves) will contemplate all provisions of the Construct Again Higher Act and ship the complete invoice to the Home ground.
Over 4 days of Committee markup, Congressman Horsford and the Home Methods and Means Committee voted to advance proposals that might:
Help Working Households and Communities by:
- Extending the American Rescue Plan enlargement of the Youngster Tax Credit score.
- Completely extending the American Rescue Plan expansions of the Earned Earnings Tax Credit score and the kid and dependent care tax credit score.
- Increasing confirmed tax credit score applications that encourage financial and inexpensive housing investments in communities which are most in want.
- Offering as much as 12 weeks of common paid household and medical depart for all U.S. employees.
- Investing in youngster care entry and fairness by:
- Making certain that folks and caregivers have essentially the most helpful and up-to-date data on obtainable youngster care choices and serving to them simply apply for slots.
- Funding the development and transforming of kid care amenities to make them even safer and extra aligned with public well being tips.
- Elevating the wages of kid care employees, who at the moment earn a median wage of $12.24 per hour and infrequently dwell in poverty.
- Reinstating Construct America Bonds and superior refunding bonds to supply financing to state and native governments and spur funding within the non-public sector.
Help Seniors and Strengthen Retirement Security by:
- Increasing Medicare protection to incorporate dental, imaginative and prescient, and listening to advantages, rapidly getting new imaginative and prescient and listening to companies to beneficiaries in 2022 and 2023, respectively, to eradicate price and protection limitations to this care.
- Requiring employers with out employer-sponsored retirement plans to robotically enroll their workers in IRAs or 401(ok)-type plans.
- Making the Saver’s Credit score refundable in order that these with none revenue tax legal responsibility are eligible to obtain the profit within the type of a contribution to their retirement account.
- Funding elder justice applications that improve assist for state and native Grownup Protecting Companies places of work and long-term care ombudsman applications to raised stop elder abuse, neglect, and exploitation.
- Addressing the staffing shortages in long-term care amenities by offering funds for recruitment and retention, together with wage subsidies, entry to youngster care, tuition reimbursement, and pupil mortgage substitute.
- Bettering the accuracy and reliability of the info collected in these amenities to extend transparency for sufferers and their households, and strengthen the federal understanding of care high quality and reimbursement, and research and replace staffing – a key predictor of high quality and security.
Decrease Well being Care and Prescription Drug Prices by:
- Extending the American Rescue Plan’s expanded premium tax credit to assist decrease medical insurance prices.
- Decreasing prescription prices for People by permitting the Secretary of the Division of Well being and Human Companies to barter for decrease drug costs.
- Offering rapid protection for People within the Medicaid protection hole.
Help Employees and Small Companies by:
- Supporting clear power funding and deployment and the creation of excellent, well-paying jobs.
- Leveling the enjoying subject by chopping taxes for our nation’s smallest companies and sustaining the present tax charge for companies incomes beneath $5,000,000.
- Reauthorizing the Well being Occupation Alternative Grant (HPOG) program to strengthen this efficient well being care job coaching program and making it obtainable nationwide.
- Modernize and reform the Commerce Adjustment Help (TAA) applications by:
- Rising advantages and increasing eligibility to satisfy the wants of right this moment’s employees beneath TAA for Employees program.
- Reestablishing the TAA for Communities program to focus on assist and provoke proactive outreach in trade-affected communities.
- Delivering further funding to the TAA for Group Faculties and Profession Coaching program to raised assist college students served by group faculties.
- Increasing eligibility, bettering outreach, and growing funding for TAA for Companies to help companies dealing with competitors from overseas.
- Bettering outreach and growing advantages for TAA for Farmers, which hasn’t acquired new funding in a decade.
Promote Equity in Our Tax Code by:
- Mitigating wealth inequality and strengthening the progressive energy of our tax system by growing the person tax charge, growing the highest capital positive factors charge, and including a modest surtax on the highest-income taxpayers.
- Investing in tax equity by higher equipping the IRS with up to date know-how and the human capital crucial for the advanced audits of high-wealth people.
In the course of the markup course of, the Home Methods and Means Committee voted to advance seven proposals authored or co-authored by Congressman Horsford. These proposals embody:
- Medicare Dental Protection Act, which might develop Medicare Half B to cowl most dental companies, together with preventive dental care, routine dental remedies, and dentures.
- Nursing House Workforce Help and Enlargement Act, which might enhance nursing house care by strengthening wages and advantages for long-term care employees. This invoice is included within the Elder Justice Reauthorization and Modernization Act of 2021, which might dedicate funding to important applications and shut present coverage gaps to raised shield weak seniors and folks with disabilities.
- Well being Suppliers Coaching Act, which might enable hospitals to make use of the Well being Occupation Alternative Grant (HPOG) program to coach low-income employees for high-demand well being careers. This invoice is included within the Pathways to Well being Careers Act, a bipartisan invoice to modernize the HPOG program.
- Capping Drug Prices for Seniors Act, which might create an out-of-pocket spending most for the hundreds of thousands of Medicare beneficiaries who’re enrolled within the Medicare Half D prescription drug program.
- GREEN Act, which might make investments to sort out the local weather disaster by means of the tax code. The GREEN Act consists of Congressman Horsford’s Dynamic Glass Act, which might incentivize companies to spend money on the know-how and deployment of electrochromic glass to cut back greenhouse fuel emissions.
- Electrical Energy Infrastructure Enchancment Act, which might create an funding tax credit score to assist promote building of regionally vital transmission initiatives throughout the nation.
- Low-Earnings Housing Renewable Power Credit score Act, which might carry the financial and environmental advantages of photo voltaic power to low-income people and communities, utilizing the tax code to advance environmental and financial justice.
Geneva Kropper | [email protected] | 202-849-0251