A number of payments authored by California State Senator Dave Cortese (D-San Jose) have superior to the Governor’s desk as this 12 months’s legislative session got here to a detailed earlier this night.
Headed to the Governor’s Desk:
- AB 1171 – Ending the Spousal Rape Exception
- SB 564 – Santa Clara County Hospitals
- SB 780 – Native Financial Growth; Funding for Inexpensive Housing
- SB 791 – Surplus Land Unit
Already Signed into Legislation:
- SCR 18 – Compassionate California
- SB 411 – Rights for Retirees
- SB 461 – Unfair Competitors Legislation Enforcement
Headed to the Governor’s Desk:
“It’s the finish of this 12 months’s legislative session and we’ve handed lots of of payments to enhance the lives of each Californian,” stated Senator Cortese. The next payments authored by the Senator superior to the Governor’s desk:
- AB 1171 – “Ending the Spousal Rape Exception”: AB 1171 will deliver parity to California’s rape statutes by requiring the identical requirements for “spousal rape” that’s presently within the penal code for rape. The invoice eliminates the “spousal rape exception” within the California Penal Code (Part 262) to make sure that “spousal rape” is handled and punished, as severely because the rape of a non-spouse. Be taught extra about AB 1171 at this hyperlink.
“I’m proud that our invoice to finish the archaic distinction of spousal rape is transferring to the Governor’s desk having overcome quite a few legislative hurdles, and I wish to thank the entire activists, survivors, and group organizations that labored so exhausting to push this ahead,” stated AB 1171 principal co-author Senator Cortese.
“This invoice is a historic victory for our grassroots motion of survivors and advocates throughout the state, 1000’s of whom demanded the repeal of the spousal rape exception. There may be nonetheless extra to do, and Sufficient is Sufficient will proceed to combat till each survivor is protected,” stated Stanford Legislation Professor Michele Dauber, who leads the Sufficient is Sufficient Voter Venture.
- SB 564 – “Santa Clara County Hospitals”: SB 564 will be sure that two essential public hospitals in Senate District 15 – the O’Connor Hospital (OCH) and Santa Clara Valley Medical Heart (VMC) – can keep entry to well being companies for County residents whereas persevering with their progress to fulfill seismic security requirements by extending the hospital seismic compliance deadline from July 1, 2022 to December 31, 2024, given the affect of COVID-19 on the County’s hospital system, paired with the County’s solely current acquisition of the O’Connor Hospital.
“SB 564 will be sure that we maintain Santa Clara County hospitals O’Connor and Valley Medical Heart open and serving our group to the fullest extent doable,” says Senator Cortese.
“Sustaining hospital operations and capability is a essential problem for our group and this has been significantly necessary as demonstrated by the County of Santa Clara’s response to the COVID pandemic,” stated County Govt Jeffrey V. Smith, M.D., J.D. “We deeply respect Senator Cortese authoring SB 564 on our behalf and are happy that the Legislature has despatched the invoice to the Governor as it’s going to assist the County’s well being system keep its capability to serve our group whereas we proceed retrofitting amenities to fulfill seismic necessities.”
- SB 780 – “Financial Growth; Enhancements to EIFD and CRIA Tax Increment Legal guidelines”: SB 780 will present useful clarifications to enhance the functioning and usefulness of Particular Tax Districts which are utilized by native governments to fund group infrastructure initiatives, native financial improvement, and reasonably priced housing.
- SB 791 – “Inexpensive Housing; Surplus Land Unit”: SB 791 will expedite the development of reasonably priced housing on native authorities surplus land by the creation of the California Surplus Land Unit inside the Division of Housing and Neighborhood Growth.
“The pandemic has underscored the significance of secure and sustainable housing,” stated Senator Cortese. “SB 780 and SB 791 will alleviate our extremely excessive housing burdens in California by spurring the manufacturing of reasonably priced housing to fulfill the extremely excessive want that’s presently going unmet.”
The California Affiliation for Native Financial Growth stated the next about SB 780: “On behalf of lots of of financial builders throughout our state, the California Affiliation for Native Financial Growth thank Senator Cortese for his considerate management in listening to practitioner options for rising native economies and authoring SB 780. This laws, which improves Enhanced Infrastructure Financing Districts and Neighborhood Revitalization Funding Authorities, offers California communities simpler tax increment financing instruments for financial improvement, infrastructure, and reasonably priced housing initiatives – essential investments wanted with a view to create a greater future for our residents.”
Already Signed into Legislation
Earlier on this Legislative session Governor Newsom signed the next payments from Senator Cortese centered round staff’ rights and shopper safety:
- SB 411– “The Working After Retirement Act”: SB 411 would merely grant the CalPERS Board the authority to succeed in a good decision with retirees who inadvertently go over the 960-hour restrict, based mostly on the circumstances and situations of that specific violation, with out having to pressure a retiree to reinstate again into the system or forcing a retiree to repay their hard-earned retirement revenue. Be taught extra at this hyperlink.
- SB 461– “Unfair Competitors Legislation Enforcement”: SB 461 will permit County Counsels, of a county inside which a metropolis has a inhabitants in extra of 750,000 folks, to implement the Unfair Competitors Legislation (UCL) that prohibits false promoting and unfair enterprise practices.
- SCR 18 – “Compassionate California”: SCR 18 declares California to be the primary Compassionate State in the US of America. The Decision unanimously handed each the State Senate (32-0) and Meeting (73-0) and can develop into efficient instantly upon submitting with the Secretary of State.
SB 411 – The Work After Retirement Act
“Our retirees deserve respect, peace of thoughts, and a way of security for his or her future as they proceed to contribute to our state faculties and public businesses, particularly throughout a time of such socioeconomic turmoil,” says Senator Cortese. “I’d prefer to thank Governor Newsom for his management and for passing this necessary measure to guard our retirees.”
This measure will put an finish to what, in some circumstances, can quantity to an egregious encumbrance on retirees and, as a substitute, permit for extra swift and efficient resolutions to those unintentional violations.
“On behalf of CalPERS faculty retirees, I wish to thank Senator Cortese for authoring Senate Invoice 411 and Governor Newsom for signing this necessary laws,” stated California College Staff Affiliation President Ben Valdepeña. “SB 411 will permit retired annuitants to do necessary work for college kids when their assist is required with out worry of being unfairly punished and dropping all of their hard-earned retirement advantages. This new regulation will permit CalPERS to think about the distinctive circumstances of every case and negotiate affordable settlements as a substitute of asking each retiree who exceeds the 960-hour restrict to pay again each penny of their earned advantages.”
Be taught extra about SB 411 at this hyperlink.
SB 461 – “Unfair Competitors Legislation Enforcement”
“SB 461 is a landmark shopper safety regulation that may permit us to higher combat again in opposition to unethical and misleading enterprise practices throughout California,” says Senator Cortese.
Beneath SB 461, the county counsels of Los Angeles, San Diego, and Santa Clara Counties may have authority to prosecute UCL violations.
“This invoice offers the state’s three largest county counsel places of work—Santa Clara, Los Angeles, and San Diego—with a essential software to guard Californians from unlawful enterprise practices,” stated James R. Williams, Santa Clara County Counsel. “Senator Cortese has lengthy championed the groundbreaking work of the Santa Clara County Counsel’s Workplace to guard our group, and by authoring this invoice, he has constructed on that legacy to boost shopper safety and honest competitors in California.”
Be taught extra about SB 461 at this hyperlink.
SCR 18 – Compassionate California
“Our State is residence to many industries, organizations, and people who search to serve the wants of our communities by compassion, and it’s by them that we now have risen to be a mannequin of compassion inside the Union,” stated Senator Cortese. “After we lead with compassion, particularly throughout instances of accelerating uncertainty, we generate constructive advantages that ripple by each sector of our civic and group life.”
“Declaring California as a Compassionate State helps us change the narrative for a way we relate to one another and create group,” says Laura Hansen of Compassionate Capital Area and Compassionate California, including, “Public well being, security and group design that serve everybody equitably are central to that narrative.”
Be taught extra about SCR 18 at this hyperlink.
Senator Dave Cortese represents State Senate District 15 which encompasses most of Santa Clara County, together with the cities of Campbell, Los Gatos, Cupertino, Saratoga, Monte Sereno, and far of San Jose, stretching from the Santa Cruz Mountains to the west and Mountain Hamilton Vary to the east.
Data launched as Press Launch by Senator Dave Cortese